Please read these Terms and Conditions (“Terms”, “Terms and Conditions”) carefully before using the Lost Stories website (the “Service”) operated by the Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc (“MHC”, “us”, “we”, or “our”).
Your access to and use of the Service is conditioned on your acceptance of and compliance with these Terms. These Terms apply to all visitors, users and others who access or use the Service.
By accessing or using the Service you agree to be bound by these Terms. If you disagree with any part of the terms then you may not access the Service.
This project has been set up to collect personal migration stories and help contribute to a greater understanding and appreciation of Mareeba’s multicultural history. We would love to hear from you if you or your family migrated to Mareeba. We welcome your migration stories and memories.
If you contribute a story, please bear in mind that whatever you share may be made available to the public.
The Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc may wish to use stories or images contributed for inclusion in the Multicultural Museum display and as promotional material for the museum.
Stories must not:
- Be defamatory of any person, obscene, offensive or inflammatory
- Disclose any other personal information in respect of any individual
- Infringe any copyright or trademark of any other person
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person
- Contain any advertising or promote any services.
The Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc values the privacy of every individual’s personal information and aims to provide an environment which ensures information you provide to us is handled in a secure, efficient and confidential manner.
The Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc is committed to protecting your privacy when using their website or any of its applications or services (the Service) in accordance with the Privacy Act 1998.
The Australian Privacy Principles set out how Australian Government agencies should collect, use, store and disclose personal information and how individuals can access records containing their personal information.
Collection of your personal information
The personal information we collect via this Project includes:
- your email address, first and last names, username, and any organisation you may be affiliated with if you register to participate in commenting, tagging or contributing any information to this site.
- the content of any electronic forms you submit via this Project
- any personal information submitted if you participate in a survey or competition
- any messages you submit for this Project or to mailing addresses, email addresses, Facebook pages, Twitter accounts or other contact mechanisms for this Project, which may include personal information such as name, email address, and any organisation you may be affiliated with.
When you provide personal information about other individuals, we rely on you to make them aware:
- that such information will or may be provided to the MHC
- of the types of third parties we may provide it to
- of the relevant purposes that we and such third parties will use it for
- how they may access it.
Use of your personal information
In addition to providing our services to you and carrying out your requests, we may use or disclose personal information that we collect about you for purposes including:
- the purpose for which we have collected the information
- purposes related to the research, planning, development, security and testing of this Project
- purposes connected with the operation, administration, development or enhancement of this Project
- where we suspect that fraud or unlawful activity has been, is being or may be engaged in
- any other purposes required or authorised by law.
We may share personal information within the MHC and with third parties. The types of third parties to whom we may disclose that personal information includes service providers who assist us in developing this Project or related services, such as providing archival, auditing, professional advisory, banking, mailing house, delivery, recruitment, call centre, technology, research, utility and security services. We may also disclose your personal information to third parties acting on your behalf such as your solicitor or interpreter or where requested by an Australian law enforcement agency.
Use of your email address
MHC only records your email address if you send us a message by email or mobile device, if you register to use one of our online or mobile services, or if you register requesting notifications by email. Your email address will only be used for the purposes for which you have provided it, or for the purposes specified in the Use of Your Personal Information above and will not be added to any mailing lists without your prior consent by way of a specific request in writing (including by email).
This project is moderated. All stories will be reviewed before publishing. Any story that we deem to be at odds with these guidelines will be removed – for example if it is irrelevant, offensive or defamatory. We may attempt to get in touch with you to discuss how you can contribute your story without breaching these guidelines. If you are unsure, you are welcome to contact the Operations Manager at the MHC.
If you are including an image with your story, please ensure that it is a maximum of 100kb and no bigger than 400px along the longest edge. Do not upload images that you don’t own the copyright for without permission from the copyright owner.
- defames, insults, abuses, harasses, stalks, threatens or attacks anyone
- contains offensive, obscene, vulgar, violent or unlawful material
- vilifies or discriminates against any particular gender, religion or race/ethnicity
- contains fraudulent, deceptive, misleading or other unlawful material
- contains material that you do not have a legal right to post (eg material protected by copyright)
- advertises, offers or promotes anything of a commercial nature (eg spam)
- contains unnecessary personal information about yourself or anyone else
- contains a virus or some other form of malicious code
- is considered (by the Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc) irrelevant or excessively long.