Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc Board
Board of Directors
We are led by an enthusiastic and committed Board who share their insights and expertise to help develop the Centre. Their perspective, influence and networks are strengths that are critical in enabling our ability to serve the community through our operations and programs.
Director – Mick Borzi
General Director, President
Director – Maria Nastasi
Tourism Director, Vice-President
Director – Louise Mahoney
Museum Volunteer Director, Treasurer
Director – Cr Mary Graham
Representative nominated by Mareeba Shire Council
Director – Neil Sandall-Vear
Visitor Information Centre Volunteer Director
Director – Sharon Wilson
Vacant position Finance Director. As there were no nominations from the floor this position may be appointed by the Board of Directors.
Two Special Interest Director positions currently remain vacant.These positions may be appointed by the Board of Directors and are designated strategic positions.
Secretary – Janet Greenwood
This position was appointed by the Board of Directors.
Rules of Association
The Mareeba Heritage Museum and Information Centre trading as Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc is a membership based incorporated association; a registered legal entity established for cultural or charitable purposes; a legal structure independent of its individual members, making it easier for the organisation to enter into contracts. Amendments were made to the Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc, t/a Mareeba Heritage Museum and Visitor Information Centre Rules of Association and adopted at the 15 November 2018 Annual General Meeting.
The Role, Responsibilities and Requirements of the Board
Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc is administered by a Board of Directors elected at the Annual General Meeting. The Board is responsible to the Members for the performance of the Centre in both the short and longer term and seek to balance these sometimes competing objectives in the best interest of the organisation as a whole. Their focus is to ensure the organisation is properly managed and that it remains committed to the vision of Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc.
The Board meet monthly to review the performance and activities of the organisation. The Board of Directors consist of a maximum of nine (9) persons all of whom are members of Mareeba Heritage Centre Inc. Directors serve a one (1) year term and elections are held at the Annual General Meeting. A Director may resign at any time or be removed from office by a special resolution passed by the ordinary Members at a General Meeting convened for that purpose.
What does a elected Director do on the Board
We are fortunate to have a diverse Board bringing insights and knowledge, combined with professional financial management. The Board draws on relevant corporate governance best practice principles to assist in the continual performance of the organisation. Directors bring diverse views, skills and specific areas of experience that come together to collectively make decisions. The day to day management of the organisation’s affairs and implementation of corporate strategy and policy initiatives are delegated by the Board to the General Manager.
- Ensure that the significant collections and research are preserved, that the Centre displays are reviewed, reimagined and redeveloped, and that the Centre can continue to be an important cultural venue.
- To future proof the Centre and increase the current revenue by implementing marketing strategies and key opportunities.
- To increase engagement with the local community.
- Ensure the Centre is operated competently and financially responsibly.
- Manage the Centre as one entity, fulfilling the functions of both the Museum and Visitor Information Centre.
- Focus on the primary purpose of a destination information centre: a one-stop, physical location from which travellers can connect to local businesses and services.
- To maintain the integrity of MHC Inc.’s vision and capitalise on the successes of the centre over the past 24 years.